Monday, May 14, 2007

Orchid Debt

Today was gorgeous. It wasn't too hot or too cold. It was jsut right. (I sound like goldie locks) After I came home from school, I stayed outside and read a book. But then I had to move to different spots because the sun kept moving in the sky and I became blinded by the white paper of the book. So eventually I gave up and just went back inside to read some more before I had to make dinner. But that wasn't the most exciting part of the day. This morning my botany class, for its last lab, went to see a guy who breeds orchids. It was very interesting. I got to see how they were pollenated and how to repot them. I also got to see differnent ones from around the world. My favorite ones were the lady slippers. They looked like a ballerina slipper. But they weren't really bright in color. I liked them for their shape only. The ones that were bright colors, were more appealing and I probably would want one of them in my house rather than the lady slippers which tend to be dark brownish colors with yellow mixed in. Did you know that some of the orchids in the world go for five thousand dollars! And there are people who will pay to have that plant. Apparently, the man who owns this place, said that people who breed orchids on the west coast will attract Japanese people who have that kind of money to spend on a plant, and are readily going to do that. Who would want to have, or even think about buying a plant for five thousand dollars? I certainly would be interested in buying something like that that could put me in debt. They are beautiful, but I don't think anything that beautiful is worth five thousand dollars. Well maybe my husband would be to me, if I got married.

ptc

2 comments:

Annie said...

Yeah today it was nice at the lilac festival. Tomorrow I suggest you take water, because it is going to be 85 outside :) I love nice weather.

Annie.

P.S. I think the lilac are right where they need to be. Who is going? You and your friends or you, Sarah and Katie?

Ian Dewey said...

5000$ for an orchid. Pretty crazy indeed...