Saturday, August 11, 2007

Oh Lucie, I wrote more story for you.



Jess and I became singers. Kalob played the lute, Mathyus played the flute and Griffen took care of all our belongings. He was so pleased. (he,he) It wasn’t my fault that he refused to play an instrument, so he became the manager and that is what they do.
“How much farther?” asked Kalob who was frantically learning how to play the lute, and quite frankly he was freaking out.
“Not much farther,” I said back to him, “why?”
“You know perfectly well that I can’t play this instrument,” I giggled. “It isn’t funny,” he said.
“Try this,” I said as I walked back to him handing him a vial. “It will allow you to play the instrument without failing perfection. It will be as if youo have playing since you were a child,”
“Will this really work,” he said doubtful.
“That’s what my mother said,” Kalob took the vial and drank a drop. “Now try playing,” I encouraged him. Kalob took up the lute and he began to play like a songbird.
“Thanks Kel,”
Walking to the sea took many days and many nights of sore, swollen feet, and festering blisters which were easily cured with Jess’s plant herbs. We walked through the valleys, hills, swamps, and forests. But within five days we arrived and the coast and just in view was the port where we would be getting onto a boat.
It was a crowed. The port was like a bowl and the people inside were the soup spilling over. Hollaring was heard throughout as wares were trying to be sold. Chamber pots were being spilled out of windows splattering anyone who got too close. Animals, carts, and people were creating such a ruckus.
“We need to find the ship that is going to Zarkesh,” shouted Jess over the noise.

“I found a ship,” said Griffen using his powers. “We need to get to the fifth dock by noon,” That was easier said then done. The pushing of people and animals, not to mention watching your feet so that you don’t step in something disgusting, made us late for boarding. Once there, we showed the captain our passes and went aboard.
Our room were very small. The boys shared a room next to mine. When we were settled, all five of us went up onto the deck.
It was only later that I noticed that the crew was acting a bit strange. They tried not to watch as I passed them, but their whole process slowed down.
“Something is going on,” I whispeard to Jess. He didn’t believe me or any of the other guys.
I was warry of using my magic, and I found myself doing thing manually. But it wasn’t until I caught a rat in my room that I found out about the whole truth.
“Please don’t tell the captain that you found me. I would be flogger for sure if found out I got caught when I was told to stay out of sight,”
“The captain told you to spy on me, but why?”
“I don’t know. He just siad that I I watched you, that I would be given more money when everyoe got paid,”
“I’ll keep your secret. Let us continue as we were. Keep spying on me and going back to the captain.If he says anything of value, give me a heads up, agreed,”
“Agreed,” he said still standing in the room.
“Oh all right. I’ll give you something for now, but don’t expect something everytime. I’m not made of money you know. I’m just a simple musician,” I said handing him a coin.
That night I told the guys, under a spell of silence, what was happening.
“But what would the captain want with us?” asked Kalob.
“He must know something about us, but what could it be?” Jess asked.
“Shh, I hear footsteps outside,” I said quietly. They came by the door pausing for a second and then resuming their walk.
“Now we know that we need to keep on out toes,” said Griffen.

1 comment:

Lucia said...

Kind of reminds me of what Emigrants had to go through when coming to America. Noice, comotion, smell. . .